Independence day

(Kelly's Korner readers... the recipe is here, you just have to scroll down to the bottom.

For the Fourth of July, some friends invited us over for lunch and then we all went together to see the parade.  It was a bit sunny to start, but the shade eventually found us. 

 TM sitting and eating a cookie and watching the parade.


K. loves nothing better than to be with his buddy B.

 G. was feeling the effects of missing her nap...

but not L.  She stayed awake for the whole thing.

Afterwards, some different friends came over to our house for a make-shift party.  Because my grocery shopping day is Monday, I never really put together that my shopping day would fall on a holiday nor the fact that I didn't plan a menu for it.  Our friends had just returned the day before from being out of town, so weren't quite prepared either.  The (marginally) well-stocked pantry saved the day.  I had hamburger patties in the freezer as well as some frozen bread dough and 5 lbs of potatoes... my friend had frozen steaks, some potatoes, and lots of kale growing in her garden.  We each provided our meat (and I turned the dough into hamburger buns), we each made garlic potatoes, I provided condiments and tomatoes and grilled onions, and she brought the kale which was turned into kale chips.  A run to the store for some beverages and chips (us) and watermelon (them) and we had a party.

The garlic potatoes are easy and make a lot.  Here's how I do it:

Garlic Potatoes
5 pounds of potatoes, either peeled or scrubbed, and cut into 1/2 inch dice (this will fill 2- 9x13 pans)
2 sticks of butter
Lots of garlic (I use the preminced stuff, but if you are chopping whole cloves, I would say you need at least 8 cloves, chopped.)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray the baking pans and divide the potatoes between them.  Put one stick of butter in each pan and divide the garlic between the pans.  Place in oven for a few minutes, until the butter melts.  Stir well.  Return to oven and bake for 45 minutes to an hour.  The potatoes should be brown and crispy and cooked through.  I suppose you could get away with less butter... if you really wanted to.

Comments

Dustine said…
Hello. I stopped by your blog from the large homeschool yahoo group.
Hope you all had a great fourth. :)
~Blessings to you

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain