Apple-onion tarts

There was some disappointment yesterday that I didn't post the recipe that I changed.  Since I'm spending the day making apple sauce, I'll share it with you since it's an easy post.  Here is the original Martha Stewart recipe I used.

And here is my version. (I don't feel as though I changed it all that much, but judging from the comments, if you follow it exactly it takes forever to make.  Mine didn't and it still tasted great.)

Apple-Onion Tart (the easier way)
As usual, I'm giving you the large family proportions.  You can reduce, or invite someone over to join you, or I imagine it would freeze quite well.

4 apples, sliced sort-of thinly depending on how tired I was of slicing apples... I didn't peel them.
8 onions, thinly sliced
a couple TBSP of olive oil
a couple TBSP of butter
a pinch of crushed rosemary (you could add more if you like rosemary)
3 TBSP apple cider vinegar
Grated Parmesan cheese

Pie crust for 3 single crust pies (I made enough for two double crust pies and froze one).  If you want to get extra fancy, you could cut in a little grated Parmesan cheese and crushed rosemary to the crust.  I was going to but forgot.

Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onions.  Cook until they get soft and cook down enough to add the apples.  Cook, stirring occasionally until the apple/onion mixture is brown and caramelized.  Add the vinegar, Parmesan and rosemary and cook for another few minutes.  (This step takes long enough that you will have plenty of time to make the pie crust while it cooks.)

Preheat over to 425 degrees.  Line three pie plates with the crust.  Spoon in the apple-onion mixture.  To get the rustic, chi-chi look, instead of crimping the crust around the edge, just fold it over to the top of the tart.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Turn down heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes.

It was really good.  Just be warned, it took a while to do all the chopping.

Comments

Kristin Mueller said…
Do you have a good pie crust recipe? I've glanced through your recipe archive, and didn't see one, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I always end up resorting to the store-bought crusts, but probably shouldn't admit that. :) I know I can make one on my own, right??
thecurryseven said…
Yes, I do. Any you CAN make a pie crust! I'll share mine soon.

e
Kristin Mueller said…
It always cracks me up when people say they like the pie I made, and it has a good crust...if only they knew that all I had to do was "unroll and press into pie pan." I know I can do better! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain