Advent

I just started and deleted a terribly uninteresting post about feeling crunched for time. And while I am feeling that way a bit, to think in those terms isn't where I want to spend my time. Because the truth of the matter is, I have enough time. I may not always choose to fill that time wisely, but there is enough. This Advent I want to really spend my time focusing on what is important. There are many things that seem to be important at that moment, but really, if they don't get done, it's not the end of the world.

I know I wrote about my ability to procrastinate, and I'm wondering if that is really the word for it. Maybe it is more a matter of choosing my priorities correctly. The laundry, for one brief and wonderful moment, was all caught up. And now it's not. In fact, I haven't done laundry for three days and the speed with which it piles up is extraordinary. I know I will have a chance to get to it tomorrow and then I will make a valiant attempt at controlling it. (At least I will make sure that the little girls have clean clothes again.) But I have been paying more attention to what I'm doing with my time, and I am finding I choose to spend the bulk of my time with people. Mornings are spent with my children and learning together. Usually I can get to the basement and throw in a load, but there are some mornings when my children require my attention to the point that I just never make it downstairs. After lunch is a good time to get caught up on housework, but the past few days have been taken up with other things... running errands to pick-up needed things (pull-ups, dog food, and such), taking children to appointments or running people places, or leading a Bible study. Somewhere in there meals were made, the house was cleaned for a party last night, and I was even able to meet some good friends whom I rarely see for coffee.

But laundry? No.

I've written before that frustration comes from unmet expectations. In order to get rid of the frustration, ones expectations need to change. And at this point in my life, there are some things that are just unrealistic. Or they are realistic only if I let other things that I think are more important fall to the wayside. This isn't procrastination, but choosing the better over the good.

And what does all this have to do with Advent? The Advent season is a time of preparation. Preparation for the coming of the Lord. It is a time of waiting as well. It is so easy to get caught up in our preparations for the celebration of the day that we easily lose track of what all the preparation is for. So this season, I'm going to try to keep that in mind. Yes there is a lot to do, but I am thankful I have the means to prepare these surprises for my family and very thankful that I have the family to prepare surprises for. And if some of it doesn't get done? Well, I can choose whether or not that is going to ruin things for me, or just focus on the real purpose and the things of real importance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain