Frugal large family meals: Beef and cabbage turnovers

I used to make these all the time, but at some point I guess it started to seem like too much effort, so I stopped. As I was planning our dinners last week, I decided to pull out the recipe again and give it another try. It wasn't as much work as I imagined, though it is a little fussy to feel each turnover. They were pretty popular, though. And for the most party, they are pretty inexpensive, so I decided to share the recipe with you.

I'm giving you the reasonable sized recipe. I realize that not everyone needs to make 30 turnovers, nor does everyone have the giant frying pan needed to cook the doubled filling in. (I doubled the filling and multiplied my biscuit recipe by 2 1/2.)

Beef and Cabbage Turnovers (If I made 30+ turnovers with the doubled amounts, I bet this would fill at least 15 turnovers.)

1 lb ground beef
1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
1/2 onion, chopped

Brown the ground beef. As it is cooking add the onion to cook it also. When the meat is cooked and the onion translucent, add the cabbage. Turn your heat down to medium and cook ~15 minutes (or more) until the cabbage is cooked, stirring occasionally

While this is cooking, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and make a batch of your favorite biscuit recipe. (What? You don't have one? Never fear, I'll share my mother's down below.). Cut out the biscuits. When the filling is ready, roll each biscuit into a ~6 inch diameter circle. Put some of the filling in the center, fold the dough over and use a fork to seal the edges.  Place the unbaked turnovers on a foil-lined baking sheet and when they're all ready, bake for ~15 minutes or until golden brown.

My mother's biscuit recipe

I never make a single batch, but this is for the original amount - makes ~16 biscuits

2 C flour (I use all whole wheat flour when I make them, but you can also use white or a combination)
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp sugar
1/2 C shortening (I use lard, though you could also use butter or vegetable shortening)
2/3 C milk

Stir together the first 5 ingredients; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles course crumbs. Add milk and stir until a dough forms. Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 or 6 times. Pat or roll out dough to a 1/2 thickness (I tend to make thicker biscuits, they just have to bake a bit longer.) Cut out with a biscuit cutter (or with the rim of a glass if you don't have a biscuit cutter). Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 10-12 minutes at 450 degrees.

Comments

Anne Coon said…
Perfect! Someone came home from the store the other week with a head of green cabbage instead of iceburg, and now I know what to do with it!
comemorning said…
This sounds amazing! Will try it! Emily b.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain