Re-entry

I am feeling better. Much better. As in I got dressed and even left the house better.

There are certain things which stink about being sick, especially when you are a parent. I'm pretty sure I don't even need to elaborate on that. It's just not fun. (Though, it is made a whole lot better when a dear friend shows up with dinner one night!)

But you know what no one talks about? That whole re-entry period after you've been sick. I can't believe we are the only ones to experience this. (Please tell me we're not the only ones to experience this.) I find the day after being sick, that first day when you seem to be back on your feet and life is returning to normal again, to be just about as bad.

Why?

Because having a sick parent is stressful to children. Even if it seems as though people weren't holding it together, they really were. Once the parent seems to be well, then all that stress comes out in less than pleasant ways. It has not been a quiet day around here and I've been spending a lot of time holding children and reading stories and diverting (or trying to divert) meltdowns.

It almost makes me want to be sick again.

Comments

grtlyblesd said…
Not to mention that when mom is sick, there's a lot of stuff that simply doesn't get done, and it's all there waiting when you start to feel better again. I've been known to stagger down the stairs while ill to throw a load of laundry in, just to keep it moving because I don't want a mountain waiting for me when I start feeling human again.

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach