The secret life of props

Hey, Chicago, what d'ya say? The Cubs won the World Series for the first time in 108 years! Go Cubs!

Can you tell we are a wee bit excited over here? It was a nail-biter of a game. It couldn't have been more dramatic if it had been scripted. Shakespeare couldn't have done it better. (Notice the fantastic segue here.) And since we are all a little giddy from excitement and lack of sleep, we're going to talk about theater, theater bios to be exact. You know, those little blurbs in the back of the program where you can read about what other shows the actors in a performance have been in.

I know a few things about bios, having helped many children write them over the years, and then reading my college age children's bios, and now I have even advanced to adult children who are still in theater. It's a lot of bios. As you know, M. does a lot of prop design, which often also becomes prop acquisition. We are often being asked if we have this or that so it can be borrowed to be a prop. M. is currently working on North Park University's latest production of As You Like It. B. is also in it, as the evil twin. It also turns out that several items from the Curry collection of potential props are also in it. So, because I'm feeling a little giddy at the moment and it doesn't seem the moment to be serious, here are some bios that won't be appearing in the As You Like It program.

Curry Family Pie Basket (picnic basket) - Pie Basket's previous credits include picnic basket in Little Red Riding Hood, picnic basket in Little Red Riding Hood, and picnic basket in Little Red Riding Hood. Pie Basket would like to thank North Park theater for allowing him to try his handle at Shakespeare and break out of the fairy tale rut.

Curry Family Drink Dispenser (drink dispenser) - Drink Dispenser is thrilled to be in his first theatrical production, though he is not a stranger to costumed productions. Drink Dispenser has played a key support role for various murder mystery parties, historical feasts, and tableaux vivant. He hopes he enjoys being on stage as much as he has enjoyed being behind the wings.

Curry Family Garden Trowel (Garden Trowel) - It's about time garden implements have a place in theater. Inside stuff has hogged the stage for too long. Why does everyone think that pantomiming gardening is acceptable? I am proud to lead the assault against house-centric prop design and to be the first to break the glass ceiling for garden implements everywhere.

Curry Family Spade (Spade) - I am so thrilled to be in this production. I just never thought I would ever have a chance to act, though it has always been a dream of mine. I was a bit worried when the director seemed to pay a lot of attention to camping spade during the auditions and couldn't believe it when I got the part. (Sorry Camping Spade, maybe next time.) I hope I can live up to everyone's expectations. I would like to thank North Park theater for choosing me and to M., the props designer for believing in me. I also want to thank the cast and crew for being so great and fun and I have loved every minute. You guys are the best. I hope everyone enjoys the show!

If you are in the area, come and see the show. It's this weekend and next weekend. J. and I will be tag teaming in order to bring everyone in shifts. You can see B. act, the props that M. designed, and, of course, the Curry family household items.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach