The possibility of unusual pets

I don't know if any of you who are non-bloggers are aware of this, but there are two parts to a blogger's world. The blog-able part and the non-blog-able part. Even though it might seem I just throw everything out there, dirty laundry and all, I really, really don't. There's always stuff going on in any family that is private, and this is especially true if one is blogging about more than just oneself. Sometimes this stuff is good stuff and sometimes it's not so good. (And yes, A., that sentence was for you. [She and I have an ongoing discussion about the use of the word 'stuff' in writing.]) But I have found that everyone doesn't need to know everything, so I do censor myself a bit. I realize that sometimes that may be difficult to believe.

Then there are the times that the non-blog-able becomes the focus of life here for a while and I am left with not a whole lot I want to write about. (Don't worry, this time it's all pretty good.) This is why I'm going to tell you about what I just ordered....

I just ordered a Mini Chick-Bator!!

What, you say, is a Mini Chick-Bator? There are all sorts of possibilities that leap to mind... some sort of new kitchen gadget.... or a bizarre chicken-alligator hybrid... of some sort of specialty bird call that can only be heard by mini chickens.

As interesting as some of those possibilities are, none of them are correct. It is actually a miniature electric egg incubator that is just big enough to incubate four hen eggs or six quail eggs. Now, I don't know about you, but that choice seemed pretty obvious. We're doing six quail eggs, of course. There's more eggs, so it bumps up the possibility that you'll get a chick, and how cool would it be to raise baby quails? Plus they had a deal if you got the Mini Chick-Bator (sorry, I have to use the whole name each time) plus fertilized quail eggs.

Yes, yes, I know there is then the difficulty of what happens if we do get actual chicks. How do we keep them safe from the bird predators in the house? Can one really have indoor quails? Would the city mind if we had a quail coop? (There are excruciatingly specific chicken regulations here in our fair city, but if I don't look up quails, then I don't know about them right? Right? Come on, work with me here.) I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time worrying about adult quails when the Mini Chick-Bator hasn't even arrived yet. But the possibilities are pretty fun to think about, huh?

Comments

Csmithfamily09 said…
How fun! We did quail eggs as a homeschool project for 6 or 7 years. A couple of years we got no live chicks, twice we got 8. Luckily we lived in a rural area and had no problem re-homing our chicks to a local farm when they got big enough. I think I'm inspired to repeat the project now that my littles are old enough. One bit of advice, temperature really seemed to matter, the years that we kept our temps very consistent were when we had the best results.
Anonymous said…
Hope I found a good source of information for you.
I googled, "pens for backyard quail birds"
Much info came up regarding raising them for eggs
or meat, in your case , pets?
one blog looked interesting, called,"www.backyardquail.com"
They need to have good cages to keep them from predators.
Thank you for sharing, am excited to follow along as you
wait for them to hatch.PS, one statement was that they are good
for the backyard and neighborhood, as they are quieter than chickens.
mm age 70
vancouver,wa.
thecurryseven said…
Thank you, MM! These look really interesting.

e

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain