Studio progress

Yesterday, J. finished the last shelf in the closet in the studio. This means that aside from the actual sewing area which needs a counter made for my machines, the room is done. Everything is stowed away. I wasn't quite sure that it was going to be possible, but we seem to have made it work. Want to see? Here's the view of the closet from the door. The fabric shelves I showed you a while ago are on the left.


The shelves straight ahead, hold general craft supplies, plus my book binding tools.


Then to the right are the knitting, crochet, and embroidery things. I love how these shelves look with all my yarn tucked in by color.



The very top holds the amazing amount of stuffing I discovered I own, plus all my serger bobbins.


The other thing that the closet holds is all my hand spinning equipment. I was kind of excited to be able to get out my spinning wheel again. It has been a very long time since I have done anything with it.


In all of my cleaning out and sorting, I came across several skeins of yarn that I spun. I did far more than I remember doing, and it doesn't look half bad, if you ask me. Think what actual practice could do! I'm excited to regain these skills.





As we've had various adult children here, and as J. and I have talked, I think our question of allocation of funds is leaning rather heavily towards stable, fence, and animals over kitchen and dining room. There is a part of me that really needs to have a horse. We've also batted around the idea of other animals as well. (I know this doesn't surprise any of my long time readers. We like animals around here.) Sheep are looking to be a close second to the horse(s). I will admit that having sheep for fiber is very appealing to me.

And then when your children huddle together to do some research and come up with this little gem of a sheep, well in some ways a fancier kitchen doesn't seem quite as important. It seems that Babydoll Southdown sheep are perfect for hand spinners, with a micron range similar to cashmere. And they're cute!

While I would love a prettier and more functional kitchen as well as a bigger dining room, this decision about priorities just feels better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Apple picking in the rain

Kenzie on the beach