I want to do all the things

M. and I have this conversation fairly frequently, that is, we each have so many things on our want-to-do lists that we just don't know how we will ever fit it all in in our lifetimes. It can be frustrating. There are so many things to do, and really, so little time. Here's some of my list at the moment, though it is subject to constant change. The trouble comes that I do a lot more adding than subtracting. I also realize my list takes on a rather stream of consciousness hue.

  • Do more sewing... get a dress form and really figure out how to sew for myself, make more of the children's clothes, etc. etc.
  • Make more quilts
  • Make more crochet and knit projects... I really want to make a ripple stitch afghan
  • Continue to hone my spinning skills... I would love to have some fleeces to spin
  • Raise sheep, so I have those fleeces (plus, they're cute)
  • Learn to do dying (of fleece)
  • Get my riding skills back up to where they were... and I would love to add endurance riding into the mix
  • Learn to drive horses
  • Learn more about equine therapy... possibly getting certified (or whatever one does)
  • Go back to school and get my doctorate in educational psychology
  • Spend more time learning about nueroscience
  • Spend more time working on learning French and Mandarin... so that I can move on to Italian and Vietnamese (I should probably have written, "Become a polyglot")
  • Spend more time writing... trying my hand at fiction?
  • Write a book or two
  • Practice doing more book making/binding
  • Read more books
  • Play the piano more
  • Learn to play mandoline
  • Learn to play hammered dulcimer
  • Do more baking
  • Learn how to do those cool decorated cookies using color flow icing
  • Do more embroidery
  • Learn more about gardening
I'm sure I could keep going, but you get the idea. I flit from thing to thing, depending on my mood and schedule. I've always been like this, and often had the "Jack of all trades, master of none" line told to me. M., my Jack of all Trades child, did a little searching and discovered this line didn't use to be as derogatory as current usage has made it. The whole thing is, 

"Jack of all trades, master of none
though oftentimes better than master of one."

That is so much nicer, isn't it? Still there are just too many interesting things in the world to do and learn and explore, I just don't get it when people say that they're bored.

Comments

Alicia Mae said…
I like the whole couplet so much better!

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain