Escapist Reading

What better way to avoid the fact that deep winter does not seem to have any intention of leaving any time soon, than to find a series of books that are fun and purely escapist. These are the  kind of books you can happily sit and read for hours, engulfing huge chunks at a time to see what happens next, but wish you could read slower because you don't want the fun to end. It sure beats standing in sleet, washing out messy duck things at the outside pump. I've done both today, so I can say this with absolute certainty.

The series is The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman. The story involves a librarian who is attached to an invisible library which exists between different world dimensions. The librarians of this library spend their days obtaining books from these different worlds to be put into the library. Along with the librarians, there are also Fae (fairies), dragons, zeppelins, a mechanical centipede, and the occasional werewolf, to name a few characters. If you are comfortable with fantasy literature, these are incredibly fun.

If you are familiar with the movie, The Librarian, which Bob Newhart is in, or with The Librarians, the TV show that the movie spawned, you may be wondering if this is just a bit too derivative of something that's already been done. I actually wondered that same thing as I was starting the first book. After the first couple of chapters, the book had created a world so unique that I no longer connected it with the movies or TV show, even though all of them feature a somewhat mystical and vaguely sentient library.

So, for the past two weeks, I have been plowing through these books. There are four of them so far, and I truly hope the author keeps writing them. I will start the last one tonight, which makes me a bit sad, but it also means that other things around the house might actually get done. It is the rare book these days that will distract me from my always lengthy to-do list. It's been fun. But I suppose it is also a good thing, as people are going to start clamoring for clean underwear and jeans soon.

Highly recommended.
__________
In less-escapists writing, I discovered I had an article published a few weeks ago, and I didn't even realize it. Feel free to read and share, as it has been somewhat ignored due to my oversight. Processing Trauma is not a One Time Event
__________
And in other bloggy housekeeping, I'm supposed to say every so often that the links to the books goes through my Amazon Associates link, which in turn gives me a (very) small portion of any sales that link generates. Thanks to those of you who shop through it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Making bias tape... otherwise known as the Sew, Mama, Sew! Giveaway

Kenzie on the beach

Apple picking in the rain